Indications and clinical use:
Emerade™ is indicated for the emergency treatment of anaphylactic reactions in patients who are determined to be at increased risk for anaphylaxis, including individuals with a history of anaphylactic reactions. Select dose according to patient’s body weight and age.
Emerade™ is intended for immediate self-administration for emergency treatment of severe allergic reactions (Type I), including anaphylaxis associated with e.g. peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, fish, milk, eggs, wheat, stinging insects, and medications.
Emerade™ is designed as emergency supportive therapy only and not as a replacement or substitute for subsequent medical care.
MOST SERIOUS WARNING AND PRECAUTION
Emergency treatment: In conjunction with the administration of epinephrine, the patient should seek immediate medical or hospital care.
Following treatment of anaphylaxis, the patient must stay within close proximity to a hospital or where he or she can call 911 for the next 48 hours.
No absolute contraindications to the use of epinephrine in a life-threatening allergic situation.
RELEVANT WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Emergency treatment only
- More than two sequential doses of epinephrine should only be administered under direct medical supervision
- Use with caution in patients with cardiac arrhythmias, coronary artery or organic heart disease, hypertension, hyperthyroidism
or in patients who are on medications that may sensitize the heart to arrhythmias
- Avoid use in patients with cardiogenic, traumatic, or hemorrhagic shock; cardiac dilation; and/or cerebral arteriosclerosis
- Avoid use in patients with:
- Organic brain damage
- Narrow-angle glaucoma
- Parkinson’s disease
- Sulfite sensitivity
- Concomitant asthma
- Risk of biphasic anaphylaxis
- Thick subcutaneous fat layer
- Pregnant and nursing patients
- Geriatric patients
- Serious injection site infections
- Do not inject into buttock, digits, hands, or feet
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please consult the Product Monograph at: pdf.hres.ca/dpd_pm/00055405.PDF for important information relating to adverse reactions, drug interactions and dosing information which has not been discussed in this piece. The Prescribing Information is also available by calling us at: 1-800-361-4261.